Not eating after swim practice

Former Member
Former Member
This could be a misconception of mine but I always thought swimmers should be ravenous after swim practice. My son (13) swims for 2-2.5 hours and does not want to eat dinner after practice. He eats about 30 minutes before he leaves for practice but it's not a huge meal. Most days he skips dinner and goes to sleep without eating anything. I am concerned because 1. shouldn't he re-fuel his body after practice? and 2. not sure he is getting enough nutrition to sustain the level of effort that is needed. At the same time I want to trust his body to let him know when and how much he needs to eat. When I ask him he will say he is not hungry. Any advice?
Parents
  • My daughter was sort of like that back when she was on her h.s. swim team. It was interesting, and now about six years later while she's not swimming, that although she may not want to eat in...she's always up for eating out. Offer that to your son and see if he bites. I'm wondering if the hunger, or lack of it, immediately following the workout could be due in part to the amount of pool water ingested? Just a guess. Dan
  • My daughter was sort of like that back when she was on her h.s. swim team. It was interesting, and now about six years later while she's not swimming, that although she may not want to eat in...she's always up for eating out. Offer that to your son and see if he bites. I'm wondering if the hunger, or lack of it, immediately following the workout could be due in part to the amount of pool water ingested? Just a guess. Dan
Children
No Data