What's your practice like?

Former Member
Former Member
So, with my regular pool downed for maintenance, I've been swimming at the other gyms in this chain. I was swimming at the next-closest the other day and noticed a sign saying T/Th the pool is closed at 7pm for a Masters' workout, and on the gym schedule there's a "Competitive Swim Training" listed. So after spending much of the day nervous over it, waffling heavily (what if it's too tough, what if people are mean, people at this gym are widely regarded for being less than chill after all, what if, what if) I finally convince myself I'll go and at least give it a try. It turned out to be, essentially, very much a DIY workout. There was a very small whiteboard attached to a "wet floor" sign with the workout written on it, tucked next to the kickboards and not visible from anywhere in the pool. No "teacher", no coach (someone who might have been in the coach had a printout of something at the lane they were swimming in?), no direction whatsoever. People came, no one seemed to follow any particular routine, other than that they knew each other. I kept checking to see if I was somehow missing something, but no. I did my own little workout, of course, because why waste the time, but ... Is this what a practice is supposed to be like? Because this felt like basically just an adults-only lap swim hour. I would've been just as well off printing out a workout from the forum and following that. It was kind of disappointing to go expecting something resembling a class ("competitive swim training" is an actual category of class that the gym chain offers, because I've seen it elsewhere, and seen it run at other gyms, usually with kids/teens) just to do the same thing that I could've done first thing in the morning by myself. :(
Parents
  • I swim solo. There is a team about 30 minutes from me, but they have traditionally not had a coach on deck. The coach is in the workout, so effectively it is just a group swim of a series of sets. Look for a team that uses a deck coach. The deck coach can provide technique advice, encouragement, and help adjust the practice send-offs and ardage in each set to help keep you and the rest of the team balanced given often limited pool space. Good luck to you!
  • I swim solo. There is a team about 30 minutes from me, but they have traditionally not had a coach on deck. The coach is in the workout, so effectively it is just a group swim of a series of sets. Look for a team that uses a deck coach. The deck coach can provide technique advice, encouragement, and help adjust the practice send-offs and ardage in each set to help keep you and the rest of the team balanced given often limited pool space. Good luck to you!
Children
No Data