Wanting to start swimming

Former Member
Former Member
Hey, I am a junior in High School. I played football all my life 2 star recruit and nationally ranked track runner. I just can't mentally handle the sports as they are so much on my knees. I do not want to play them again senior year. I was with my friend who is a UGA commit for swimming and we were swimming at our local gym. He said I was naturally really good at it and should try it and I really enjoyed it. I grew up surfing and swimming in California. I know want to attempt the impossible. Going from non-competitive swimmer to college swimmer in 1 year and do this prior to the High School swim season. I know I am going to need to get stronger in my chest and arms, perfect my form, and get into swimming shape. I know I am going to need to lift, swim, swim, swim and swim. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
  • There aren't many elite swimmers who have started so late, but it has happened. Get a good coach.
  • Swim Atlanta is a huge club, probably one of the biggest in the nation. I'd go do a trial there. And read up on Ed Moses, who I think started at 17 and won an Olympic gold at 20. Oh yeah.....and GO JACKETS!
  • Hey, If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Hey TSchweiz - Make sure you get a coach involved right off. The high school coach will, hopefully, be willing to work with you, even if you are not a "star" right off the bat. If the high school coach doesn't have the time, look for a local age group program, or even a private lesson coach at a nearby YMCA or community center. It's never too late to get better! And you will find it is easier on the knees! Good luck to you!