Who else swims out of absolute necessity?

Former Member
Former Member
I have a jacked-up LPHC which I suspect is at least partially the result of my having aggressively lifted weights with improper form in my early 20s. My right spinal erector is extremely short and overdeveloped and my right lat very tight, which results in my right leg being slightly shorter than my left, which results in knee pain and shoulders that tend to tilt to the right, and...well, it's a mess. Yes, yes, I know: I should see a physical therapist. But money's tight and, probably more relevantly, I'm being a big *** about the prospect of hearing the diagnosis. I have the NASM cert, at least, so I have at least a basic idea of what's going on anatomically, and how to address it with exercise. Anyway, are any of you like me in that you swim because you must--because you have some intolerable problem for which it seems to be the best remedy? I've swum almost every day for the last two months, and while I like to tell myself that's because I'm Mr. Discipline, I'm really behaving more like a painkiller addict who still has chronic pain. I rarely get frustrated if I seem not to be improving, because being a good swimmer is not my primary concern. Alleviating the pain and tension is, and that happens without fail.
Parents
  • One of my swimmers, Norm, started swimming when he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. As a runner, he was desperate to find a sport that he could practice even while battling his disease. Today, he swims regularly and the sport has evolved from being a necessity to something that he truly enjoys and feels challenged by! Here's the link to Norm's story: www.swimspire.com/.../
  • One of my swimmers, Norm, started swimming when he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. As a runner, he was desperate to find a sport that he could practice even while battling his disease. Today, he swims regularly and the sport has evolved from being a necessity to something that he truly enjoys and feels challenged by! Here's the link to Norm's story: www.swimspire.com/.../
Children
No Data