My coach tell me to shorten my stroke~

Former Member
Former Member
I previously swam by reaching as far as possible, extending my arms and hands in order to enter the water as far as possible, and pull all the way nearly touching the knees in order to lengthen the stroke. However, my coach told me to drop this practice and enter the water near my head instead (she gave me a kickboard and let me do one-arm drill such that the hand enters the water BEHIND the kickboard), and told me that looong stroke is a kind of old-fashioned swimming in the 80s. That's exactly the opposite of this video tells: www.youtube.com/watch So what's exactly the mechanism of entering short? This club is running Swim Smooth, or should I switch to one which runs Total Immersion instead?
Parents
  • Purely speculation, but perhaps the coach is trying to get you to "spear" the water more so that you can get your forearm vertical (i.e., early vertical forearm or EVF). If you are reaching out too far your arm can end up flat in the water making this difficult. Obviously there's a happy medium, though. Your hand shouldn't be entering the water by your head.
  • Purely speculation, but perhaps the coach is trying to get you to "spear" the water more so that you can get your forearm vertical (i.e., early vertical forearm or EVF). If you are reaching out too far your arm can end up flat in the water making this difficult. Obviously there's a happy medium, though. Your hand shouldn't be entering the water by your head.
Children
No Data