Frustration galore -- breathing

Former Member
Former Member
Freestyle crawl Raleigh/Cary, NC I am new to swimming as an elderly adult. I have read books, watched DVDs, and watched YouTube over and over again regarding proper kicking, posture, rotation, high elbow catch, hand entry into the water, and breathing. When I use an ordinary snorkel, I can swim length after length, 100s and hundreds of meters, without fatigue and with reasonably good form. (Still, I continue to work on strengthening my lats, pecs and core for even more strength and stability.) But, as soon as the snorkel comes off and I have to breath, I can't get breathing into a rhythm. After 25-50 meters I am huffing and puffing and very discouraged. I am sure I am just turning my head for that "quick breath" (looking straight down to the pool bottom the rest of the time), breathing out from my nose while my head is in the water, but something I cant figure out is terribly wrong. To be able to swim "forever" with a snorkel and swim hardly at all without a snorkel just doesn't make sense to me. It's very discouraging. Any ideas or help you can offer as to 1) why this is happening and 2) how to fix it will be truly appreciated. Nathan
Parents
  • What Sumorunner said. Dump the snorkel and start over. Rotate. When I had swimmers who had trouble with this it was one of two things: They held their breath then when turning to breathe they had to blow out all the air and get new air (and got hypoxic) or they were robot swimming, staying level with the water (shoulders horizontal) instead of rotating. Belly-button to the side of the pool, or you're gonna get a neck ache! A good drill is 6-1-6 from Swim Smooth. Give it a try.
  • What Sumorunner said. Dump the snorkel and start over. Rotate. When I had swimmers who had trouble with this it was one of two things: They held their breath then when turning to breathe they had to blow out all the air and get new air (and got hypoxic) or they were robot swimming, staying level with the water (shoulders horizontal) instead of rotating. Belly-button to the side of the pool, or you're gonna get a neck ache! A good drill is 6-1-6 from Swim Smooth. Give it a try.
Children
No Data