Breaststroke breathing

Is there a rule that we must breathe every stroke? I find if I breathe each stroke I cannot exhale enough air so by the end of the lap I feel like I have too much air in already. Does that make sense? If I breathe every other then I don't have that trouble.
Parents
  • Silverdolphin, Glad that the longer glide helps. No doubt it will feel slower since you are not moving as often - only a pace clock will confirm if it really is slower. Another aspect of breathing is that many swimmers focus too much on inhaling as much as they can instead of exhaling as much as they can. If you are not doing this already, experiment with exhaling more forcefully and longer - to the point of feeling like you have no more air to expel from your lungs. Don't even worry about inhaling - your lungs will do that automatically. Some swimmers find this difficult to do - maybe because those muscles are not used to being used. Practice while walking around or at the edge of the pool. If this helps with that "too much air" feeling, shorten the glide and "feel" faster again. :) Good Luck...Paul
  • Silverdolphin, Glad that the longer glide helps. No doubt it will feel slower since you are not moving as often - only a pace clock will confirm if it really is slower. Another aspect of breathing is that many swimmers focus too much on inhaling as much as they can instead of exhaling as much as they can. If you are not doing this already, experiment with exhaling more forcefully and longer - to the point of feeling like you have no more air to expel from your lungs. Don't even worry about inhaling - your lungs will do that automatically. Some swimmers find this difficult to do - maybe because those muscles are not used to being used. Practice while walking around or at the edge of the pool. If this helps with that "too much air" feeling, shorten the glide and "feel" faster again. :) Good Luck...Paul
Children
No Data