Breaststroke breathing

Is there a rule that we must breathe every stroke? I find if I breathe each stroke I cannot exhale enough air so by the end of the lap I feel like I have too much air in already. Does that make sense? If I breathe every other then I don't have that trouble.
Parents
  • Your head must break the surface of the water every stroke. There is no requirement for breathing. Some people have experimented with every other stroke breathing for sprints, but because of the natural movement with the chest rising on the insweep it is really not faster for most people not to breathe, and oxygen is good. So all the elites breathe every stroke. If that is not better for you, then just make sure your head breaks the surface.
  • Your head must break the surface of the water every stroke. There is no requirement for breathing. Some people have experimented with every other stroke breathing for sprints, but because of the natural movement with the chest rising on the insweep it is really not faster for most people not to breathe, and oxygen is good. So all the elites breathe every stroke. If that is not better for you, then just make sure your head breaks the surface.
Children
No Data