tricep fatigue

Former Member
Former Member
When I swim freestyle continuously above my sustainable speed, the first thing which fails me is my deltoid - when fatigue set in I can no longer do a proper EVF catch and the exit is also affected as well. However I've heard that the most used muscle in freestyle swimming is the lats, but I feel my lats only when I swim longer than 3k - by that time my deltoid have fatigued so much to the extent that it affects my swimming seriously. What does the above symptom mean?
Parents
  • I never go to the gym, at least not in these few years. My coach told me that, at the moment I was tired, my legs were wide open when I took a breath. If you're not able to get to the gym, you should still work on incorporating dryland training in your routine if you want to strengthen swimming-specific muscles like your triceps. One way to do it is to use stretch cordz (according to your level) - that will allow you to work on your pull to a limited extent. The better way of working the correct pulling technique is with a Vasa Ergometer. The Ergometer is an excellent swim bench that allows you to work on the proper pull -technique specifically the early vertical forearm. This will strengthen triceps and lats, and will help you to swim with the correct technique at the same time. If you want more details, here's an article about the Ergometer: www.swimspire.com/.../ Based on your coach's observations, it also looks like there is a disconnect between your upper and lower body and some instability in your stroke while you are breathing. If you have a wide kick when you breathe, you are slowing yourself down and trying to compensate by placing more of the burden on your upper body. Coupled with weak triceps, and high intensity training, this could lead to shoulder injuries in the future, so, again, find a coach who can give you specific sets and variety in your workouts that will be geared towards correcting your stroke and strengthening the muscles you need to swim more efficiently. Good luck.
  • I never go to the gym, at least not in these few years. My coach told me that, at the moment I was tired, my legs were wide open when I took a breath. If you're not able to get to the gym, you should still work on incorporating dryland training in your routine if you want to strengthen swimming-specific muscles like your triceps. One way to do it is to use stretch cordz (according to your level) - that will allow you to work on your pull to a limited extent. The better way of working the correct pulling technique is with a Vasa Ergometer. The Ergometer is an excellent swim bench that allows you to work on the proper pull -technique specifically the early vertical forearm. This will strengthen triceps and lats, and will help you to swim with the correct technique at the same time. If you want more details, here's an article about the Ergometer: www.swimspire.com/.../ Based on your coach's observations, it also looks like there is a disconnect between your upper and lower body and some instability in your stroke while you are breathing. If you have a wide kick when you breathe, you are slowing yourself down and trying to compensate by placing more of the burden on your upper body. Coupled with weak triceps, and high intensity training, this could lead to shoulder injuries in the future, so, again, find a coach who can give you specific sets and variety in your workouts that will be geared towards correcting your stroke and strengthening the muscles you need to swim more efficiently. Good luck.
Children
No Data