tricep fatigue

Former Member
Former Member
When I swim freestyle continuously above my sustainable speed, the first thing which fails me is my deltoid - when fatigue set in I can no longer do a proper EVF catch and the exit is also affected as well. However I've heard that the most used muscle in freestyle swimming is the lats, but I feel my lats only when I swim longer than 3k - by that time my deltoid have fatigued so much to the extent that it affects my swimming seriously. What does the above symptom mean?
Parents
  • miklcct, It will really help to have you post a video of your swimming. In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that your stroke count (for a length of a 50 meter pool) ranges from 42 to as high as 64. Your stroke count should NOT change more than 2-3 strokes/length no matter how tired you are. To me, coupled with your comment about tricep fatigue, you may be doing one or both of the following: a) straight arm pulling and/or elbow first pulling w/ a cocked wrist. Either of these will stress the tricep more than the lats or pecs. I also suspect you are NOT doing EVF effectively. We have a fellow at our pool who takes 60 strokes/25 yards. Yup - no joke. His arm is never straight, his elbow always leads the pull, and his hand exits the water in front of his hip. I swim almost 100 yards in the time it takes him to swim 35 yards and I am not going fast. So, putting all of your posts together suggest that your technique is severely limiting. Video is really the only way for this forum to help and finding a coach would also be helpful. Good Luck Paul
  • miklcct, It will really help to have you post a video of your swimming. In one of your previous posts, you mentioned that your stroke count (for a length of a 50 meter pool) ranges from 42 to as high as 64. Your stroke count should NOT change more than 2-3 strokes/length no matter how tired you are. To me, coupled with your comment about tricep fatigue, you may be doing one or both of the following: a) straight arm pulling and/or elbow first pulling w/ a cocked wrist. Either of these will stress the tricep more than the lats or pecs. I also suspect you are NOT doing EVF effectively. We have a fellow at our pool who takes 60 strokes/25 yards. Yup - no joke. His arm is never straight, his elbow always leads the pull, and his hand exits the water in front of his hip. I swim almost 100 yards in the time it takes him to swim 35 yards and I am not going fast. So, putting all of your posts together suggest that your technique is severely limiting. Video is really the only way for this forum to help and finding a coach would also be helpful. Good Luck Paul
Children
No Data