Fins

I have not been able to use fins at all. I tried them last year upon joining the local masters team, but my toes cramped immediately. So I waited. Yesterday I tried again figuring I'm no longer a newbie having done my share of kick sets, so I grabbed a pair of fins off the rack at the YMCA, but only made it 1/2 a length and the feet began cramping again. I wear a size 11D shoe, nothing unusual or extra wide. The fins on the rack are a stiff rubber so the feet are heavily constrained. Are there any fins that have more flexibility and less pinch? BTW, I am very prone to cramping in the legs as well, but I bring a bottle of pickle juice. A couple swigs and the cramps subside in seconds.
Parents
  • Sumorunner, There is something else you may consider - a little added stretching of your feet, toes, and ankles. Background - until a couple of years ago (I am 65), I never had cramps in my feet, calves, thighs, etc.. Starting 3 years ago though, if I rode a bike regularly, I got foot cramps quite a bit. I started doing a short stretch routine before swimming. I would flex the top of my toes for 15-20 secs - like a ballerina toe point - followed by a stretch as if I walking on tip toes - for 15/20 secs. Foot cramps disappeared. Based on your history as a runner with ankles that are pretty tight, I suggest you try some extra toe stretching (both directions like I describe above) and see if that helps. Doing this will make it easier for your feet to fit into the position any kind of fin pouts your foot in. Good Luck. Windrath
  • Sumorunner, There is something else you may consider - a little added stretching of your feet, toes, and ankles. Background - until a couple of years ago (I am 65), I never had cramps in my feet, calves, thighs, etc.. Starting 3 years ago though, if I rode a bike regularly, I got foot cramps quite a bit. I started doing a short stretch routine before swimming. I would flex the top of my toes for 15-20 secs - like a ballerina toe point - followed by a stretch as if I walking on tip toes - for 15/20 secs. Foot cramps disappeared. Based on your history as a runner with ankles that are pretty tight, I suggest you try some extra toe stretching (both directions like I describe above) and see if that helps. Doing this will make it easier for your feet to fit into the position any kind of fin pouts your foot in. Good Luck. Windrath
Children
No Data