Fins

I have not been able to use fins at all. I tried them last year upon joining the local masters team, but my toes cramped immediately. So I waited. Yesterday I tried again figuring I'm no longer a newbie having done my share of kick sets, so I grabbed a pair of fins off the rack at the YMCA, but only made it 1/2 a length and the feet began cramping again. I wear a size 11D shoe, nothing unusual or extra wide. The fins on the rack are a stiff rubber so the feet are heavily constrained. Are there any fins that have more flexibility and less pinch? BTW, I am very prone to cramping in the legs as well, but I bring a bottle of pickle juice. A couple swigs and the cramps subside in seconds.
Parents
  • With your running background, you may have to take it slowly until you develop more flexibility in your calves. Fins force your feet & ankles into a more extended (plantarflexion) position. That's good for swimming, but beyond the range of motion typically developed by running. I've got a couple of sets of fins in my bag: A pair of generic Voit-style long fins and a pair of short Finis Zoomers. I initially got blisters from each of them when they were new until I built up some calluses on my feet and the fins got stretched out a bit. Swimmer magazine did a fin comparison article a couple of years ago that did a good job of comparing the comfort and performance of different models.
  • With your running background, you may have to take it slowly until you develop more flexibility in your calves. Fins force your feet & ankles into a more extended (plantarflexion) position. That's good for swimming, but beyond the range of motion typically developed by running. I've got a couple of sets of fins in my bag: A pair of generic Voit-style long fins and a pair of short Finis Zoomers. I initially got blisters from each of them when they were new until I built up some calluses on my feet and the fins got stretched out a bit. Swimmer magazine did a fin comparison article a couple of years ago that did a good job of comparing the comfort and performance of different models.
Children
No Data