Swim Tracking App for Smart Phones

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, I’m an engineering student with a swimming background, and I’m looking for some feedback on a project that I am working on. I am working on building an app that will help swimmers’ coach themselves. The app would feature: Long term training plans A variety of training plans for different swimming goals A large database of swim sets adjusted for your ability Sets would be adjusted based on your distance and sprint paces Swim set progress tracking Would have a checklist to help you track where you are in a set Certain types of sets would allow you to input your pace times to be used as benchmarks in future sets. Automated lap timing and counting using a photo recognition based algorithm The front facing camera on your phone would need to be directed at your lane The phone would recognize you as you make your turn, and increment the lap counter The phone would also record your lap time for each lap Video recording with frame by frame playback Analyse technical aspects of your stroke Potentially record video underwater for further analysis (phone dependant) Monitor crossover, arm recovery, hip sway, head position etc… This app would be different from other swim apps because it would not require you to wear a smart watch to track your progress in real time. Instead, your phone would track you from the side of the pool. The reason I am developing this app is that I find wearing a watch while swimming to be annoying. Also, I often struggle with counting laps on longer sets. I would really love to hear your thoughts about this idea. Would this be something that you would use? Would you be willing to pay a subscription to an app like this? What would be the most valuable feature in this app for you? Are there any features that you would like to see that I have not listed? Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks, Foster