Freestyle stroke advice Please (video included)

I learned freestyle a year ago and recently hit a major personal milestone of sub 1:30 for an all out 100m sprint (SCM). Very happy about this :-D. Here is my stroke video. www.dropbox.com/.../Oct-8-2018-free-all-angles.mp4 Three months ago, my all out times were 1:39.6 (100m) and 0:21 (25m). Now they're 1:29.8(100m) and 0:20.2 (25m). So clearly I'm making more progress aerobically than stroke technique-wise. I'm guessing/assuming 25m all-out speed depends on technique. All-out 100m: 1:29.8 (spl: 24) All-out 25m: 0:20.2 (spl: 20) css-pace: 1:40 (I can do 10x100 with 20 second gap). My spl ranges from 21-22 for these 100s. I do mostly 50s and 100s (trying to pay attention to stroke count). The only drill I currenty do is single-arm free style (8x25 on each side). Since I started this drill a month ago, it has improved my DPS a lot. I swim 6 days a week (12km). My next target is 1:20 for 100m :) I would love to hear your feedback on what I should focus on next.
Parents
  • Hi there - very glad to see you have been working on improving your kick! Judging from the previous videos you have posted, your kicking is much improved - both in terms of strength/conditioning and in terms of technique, especially given the fact that you are relatively new to swimming. I can see that you are trying to emphasize the finish portion of the kick. I would not be too concerned about ankle flexibility at this time - the more you kick, the better it will get. Be sure to continue to maintain patience in this process - it takes persistent effort to improve the kick, and progress does not happen in a day. One of the issues that I see is that your feet are coming out of the water and catching some air (you can see this in the video), which reduces the efficiency of your kick. You need to practice keeping the feet slightly under the water - and you can do this by incorporating variety in your kicking drills. For example, practice side kick, and kick on your back in addition to streamline kicking on your stomach. Try to continue practicing the single arm drill with the same kicking amount and speed - this will allow you to practice incorporating the kick with the upper body movements, which in turn will transfer to your fullstroke. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing your fullstroke video as well!
  • Hi there - very glad to see you have been working on improving your kick! Judging from the previous videos you have posted, your kicking is much improved - both in terms of strength/conditioning and in terms of technique, especially given the fact that you are relatively new to swimming. I can see that you are trying to emphasize the finish portion of the kick. I would not be too concerned about ankle flexibility at this time - the more you kick, the better it will get. Be sure to continue to maintain patience in this process - it takes persistent effort to improve the kick, and progress does not happen in a day. One of the issues that I see is that your feet are coming out of the water and catching some air (you can see this in the video), which reduces the efficiency of your kick. You need to practice keeping the feet slightly under the water - and you can do this by incorporating variety in your kicking drills. For example, practice side kick, and kick on your back in addition to streamline kicking on your stomach. Try to continue practicing the single arm drill with the same kicking amount and speed - this will allow you to practice incorporating the kick with the upper body movements, which in turn will transfer to your fullstroke. Best of luck and looking forward to seeing your fullstroke video as well!
Children
No Data