Advice please

Former Member
Former Member
* Edit. This Coach is a very good coach but unfortunately she only coached our club for a few days which is why l wasn't able to speak directly to her. I am thankful that she was able to bring attention to my daughter's problem so that we can try and do something to fix it. My daughter started squad training 3 years ago and typically trains 2 to 3 sessions per week. Although she doesn't train a lot, she does manage to get State times for her 50 Freestyle and 50 Backstroke. So this year she has decided to up her training and commit to giving her swimming 100 percent. Now her issue is... her stroke rate is 38 strokes per minute. (And her new/temporary coach had an absolute fit when she told her to sprint the length of the pool and saw her "slow arms" The thing is, she keeps pace with the other kids and makes her targets but looks to be in "cruise mode" (like she isn't trying) This is the first coach to ever pull her up on it and lm at a loss that nobody has mentioned it before. The "temp" coach wants her to swim at least a 58.Is that realistic? Is it possible to change your swimming style that much?Would a swim temp trainer be a good way to get her to move her arms faster or is there another way 🤔 Feeling concerned
Parents
  • Swimfit, After seeing that your daughter is 5'11", I stand by my earlier post - even without seeing her swim. I will go out on a limb and guess she has pretty long arms (34-35" sleeve) and narrow shoulders (meaning she has not developed much upper body strength). If she swims freestyle by laying her arm on the surface of the water, recovering with a very bent elbow (from doing finger tip drag drills) and has any kind of catch-up stroke, she will have an incredibly hard time increasing her tempo. Let me know if I am right about the three things I mentioned. if I am, I can tell you/her how to improve her tempo without sacrificing distance per stroke. If her coach is as experienced as you say, she this stuff and should have offered ways to improve. Paul Windrath
  • Swimfit, After seeing that your daughter is 5'11", I stand by my earlier post - even without seeing her swim. I will go out on a limb and guess she has pretty long arms (34-35" sleeve) and narrow shoulders (meaning she has not developed much upper body strength). If she swims freestyle by laying her arm on the surface of the water, recovering with a very bent elbow (from doing finger tip drag drills) and has any kind of catch-up stroke, she will have an incredibly hard time increasing her tempo. Let me know if I am right about the three things I mentioned. if I am, I can tell you/her how to improve her tempo without sacrificing distance per stroke. If her coach is as experienced as you say, she this stuff and should have offered ways to improve. Paul Windrath
Children
No Data