swim performance vs pool temperature

Former Member
Former Member
I swim in a standard pool and count my time. However, in the summer, when the pool is hot, I cannot swim as fast as what I do in the other seasons. For example, on a hot day, when the pool was about 30℃, my 100m interval was at least 2 seconds slower than normal. More recently, I attempted to do a USRPT set of 50m's (target time 1', interval 1'15") a few days ago, and failed at the 22nd, 28th and 34th. However, after the hurricane, I did the same set again and completed all 40x50m's offered. I don't think it is possible to have such a large jump in performance in less than a week, and the only plausible reason may be the difference in the pool temperature before and after the hurricane. Is it true that the pool temperature can cause such a large difference in performance?
Parents
  • Constant problem for those of us living in Florida. All 3 of my local pools do not have chillers and I finally gave up on any distance this Summer when the water temps hit 87-90. I did need the break as I had an injury but now just starting to get back into the water and we are still between 85-87 degrees.
  • Constant problem for those of us living in Florida. All 3 of my local pools do not have chillers and I finally gave up on any distance this Summer when the water temps hit 87-90. I did need the break as I had an injury but now just starting to get back into the water and we are still between 85-87 degrees.
Children
No Data