swim performance vs pool temperature

Former Member
Former Member
I swim in a standard pool and count my time. However, in the summer, when the pool is hot, I cannot swim as fast as what I do in the other seasons. For example, on a hot day, when the pool was about 30℃, my 100m interval was at least 2 seconds slower than normal. More recently, I attempted to do a USRPT set of 50m's (target time 1', interval 1'15") a few days ago, and failed at the 22nd, 28th and 34th. However, after the hurricane, I did the same set again and completed all 40x50m's offered. I don't think it is possible to have such a large jump in performance in less than a week, and the only plausible reason may be the difference in the pool temperature before and after the hurricane. Is it true that the pool temperature can cause such a large difference in performance?
Parents
  • I am a amateur swimmer. I used to practice in public swimming pool near my locality. But, Everytime a question arises in my mind that, how public swimming pools are maintained? Do the entire water of the pool is replaced or they just use pool water filters or cleaners? All of the above at some point. Public pools use filters and chemicals and the water is constantly circulated to ensure it's going through the filters and the chemicals are being spread about. There is always some loss of water in a pool that's being used, so there's fresh water makeup which means that eventually all of the water in the pool is replaced on a regular basis.
  • I am a amateur swimmer. I used to practice in public swimming pool near my locality. But, Everytime a question arises in my mind that, how public swimming pools are maintained? Do the entire water of the pool is replaced or they just use pool water filters or cleaners? All of the above at some point. Public pools use filters and chemicals and the water is constantly circulated to ensure it's going through the filters and the chemicals are being spread about. There is always some loss of water in a pool that's being used, so there's fresh water makeup which means that eventually all of the water in the pool is replaced on a regular basis.
Children
No Data