swim performance vs pool temperature

Former Member
Former Member
I swim in a standard pool and count my time. However, in the summer, when the pool is hot, I cannot swim as fast as what I do in the other seasons. For example, on a hot day, when the pool was about 30℃, my 100m interval was at least 2 seconds slower than normal. More recently, I attempted to do a USRPT set of 50m's (target time 1', interval 1'15") a few days ago, and failed at the 22nd, 28th and 34th. However, after the hurricane, I did the same set again and completed all 40x50m's offered. I don't think it is possible to have such a large jump in performance in less than a week, and the only plausible reason may be the difference in the pool temperature before and after the hurricane. Is it true that the pool temperature can cause such a large difference in performance?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yes, it's absolutely true pool temperature affects performance and definitely matters. USMS sets the competition pool temp range at 77-82F. I prefer it closer to the 77 mark myself. One of our local team pools was heated up to 84 recently and after polite emails to the pool admin from the Masters swimmers they lowered it back down to 78 or so. When it was 84 we could not train properly.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yes, it's absolutely true pool temperature affects performance and definitely matters. USMS sets the competition pool temp range at 77-82F. I prefer it closer to the 77 mark myself. One of our local team pools was heated up to 84 recently and after polite emails to the pool admin from the Masters swimmers they lowered it back down to 78 or so. When it was 84 we could not train properly.
Children
No Data