closed fist drill

Former Member
Former Member
I tried the closed fist drill for a few lengths in a pool. I alternated between closed fist drill and normal swimming as fast as possible, with full rest between. However, the times were the same between closed fist and normal, and when using closed fist, both stroke rate and stroke per length increased slightly, resulting in the same time. How should I interpret the numbers?
Parents
  • I tried the closed fist drill for a few lengths in a pool. I alternated between closed fist drill and normal swimming as fast as possible, with full rest between. However, the times were the same between closed fist and normal, and when using closed fist, both stroke rate and stroke per length increased slightly, resulting in the same time. How should I interpret the numbers? So, my understanding of the purpose of fist drill is to improve one's "feel for the water" when pulling with only the forearm (no hand involved). The forearm has a large surface area and is thus an important part of the pull. EVF technique engages the forearm, and feeling/knowing the forearm is pulling assures one of maximizing those benefits. Work on fist drill until you know and can feel that you are achieving the maximum pull with the forearm. Somewhat similarly, if you want to work on increasing "feel for the water" with your hands, learn how to scull and practice sculling drills. When a runner applies force to the ground with their feet, the ground does not give way and it pushes back 100%. But the water doesn't do that, so "feeling" that your pull is maximal is critical. Check your stroke count and speed as you progress with each drill, and then put the feeling together (much easier said than done and takes lots of practice).
  • I tried the closed fist drill for a few lengths in a pool. I alternated between closed fist drill and normal swimming as fast as possible, with full rest between. However, the times were the same between closed fist and normal, and when using closed fist, both stroke rate and stroke per length increased slightly, resulting in the same time. How should I interpret the numbers? So, my understanding of the purpose of fist drill is to improve one's "feel for the water" when pulling with only the forearm (no hand involved). The forearm has a large surface area and is thus an important part of the pull. EVF technique engages the forearm, and feeling/knowing the forearm is pulling assures one of maximizing those benefits. Work on fist drill until you know and can feel that you are achieving the maximum pull with the forearm. Somewhat similarly, if you want to work on increasing "feel for the water" with your hands, learn how to scull and practice sculling drills. When a runner applies force to the ground with their feet, the ground does not give way and it pushes back 100%. But the water doesn't do that, so "feeling" that your pull is maximal is critical. Check your stroke count and speed as you progress with each drill, and then put the feeling together (much easier said than done and takes lots of practice).
Children
No Data