Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    After 34 years away from the pool, I returned back to swimming on August 1, 2015 at a fitness center. The catalyst was a lap pool at a hotel that my wife picked out for our honeymoon in Las Vegas a few weeks earlier. It felt good...my eyes didn't. We could only go 500 yards at first but added 100 yards each time we worked out. The following year I joined a Masters team where a college teammate was also on the team. It has been sheer fun since I got back into the pool. I have the luxury of getting LCM and SCY training at the pool that the team uses and dryland training at my fitness center, which also serves as my backup pool for workouts on my own. I was never burned out. Life happened. The big thing that swimming does for me is that it helps to calm my PTSD. It is my aqua therapy. I have been re-addicted to swimming. Smiley92407, That is all wonderful! Again I'm amazed author many people measure their "taper" in decades. You have me beat by about 2-4 years. :) "It has been sheer fun since I got back into the pool." YES! I've been smiling my way through every workout. And it sounds like you have a really nice setup, pool-wise. There are nice SCY pools here and they're finally building the first LCM complex in the area. It's going to be wonderful when it opens, hopefully sometime next year. Aqua-therapy...I can relate to that, too. So glad to hear you're having a happy time of it all. Cheers!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 5 years ago
    After 34 years away from the pool, I returned back to swimming on August 1, 2015 at a fitness center. The catalyst was a lap pool at a hotel that my wife picked out for our honeymoon in Las Vegas a few weeks earlier. It felt good...my eyes didn't. We could only go 500 yards at first but added 100 yards each time we worked out. The following year I joined a Masters team where a college teammate was also on the team. It has been sheer fun since I got back into the pool. I have the luxury of getting LCM and SCY training at the pool that the team uses and dryland training at my fitness center, which also serves as my backup pool for workouts on my own. I was never burned out. Life happened. The big thing that swimming does for me is that it helps to calm my PTSD. It is my aqua therapy. I have been re-addicted to swimming. Smiley92407, That is all wonderful! Again I'm amazed author many people measure their "taper" in decades. You have me beat by about 2-4 years. :) "It has been sheer fun since I got back into the pool." YES! I've been smiling my way through every workout. And it sounds like you have a really nice setup, pool-wise. There are nice SCY pools here and they're finally building the first LCM complex in the area. It's going to be wonderful when it opens, hopefully sometime next year. Aqua-therapy...I can relate to that, too. So glad to hear you're having a happy time of it all. Cheers!
Children
No Data