Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Hi Zwemmer: I also took a 30-year break. I swam AAU in Northern California, consisting of high-yardage workouts (about 9 per week or so). I was an ok swimmer, but never great. I swam at my local junior college for two years, & that was that. I was so burned out & had no idea why I was even swimming, other than because I had been doing so since age eight. I literally did not touch a pool for years afterward. The look of a pool, the smell of it; it all turned me off. Well, for some reason, I still have no idea why, I decided at age 50 to take another look at swimming. I thought for fitness it might be a good idea. I did not gain weight & did maintain a pretty high fitness level thru my life. I guess I was looking for an alternate form of exercise away from the gym (which I was getting pretty tired of). I swam on my own in a local 25-meter 86-degree pool during lap swim hours. There were no lane lines & 'fast' & 'slow' lanes were anyone's guess. That didn't really matter initially, because I started out by doing 25's & resting at every wall. I could stand it for about 1/2 an hour or so. Sounds kind of depressing, right? Only I didn't think so- I was so excited by the whole experience that I couldn't wait to do it again, & bought a multi-swim pass. I kept that up for a year & was happy with my progression in endurance & technique. I thought it was time to join Masters. Four years later, I am happily ensconced with a team full of really nice people of all backgrounds & abilities. I love the workouts & am continually challenged. I do swim on my own several times a month, but can't wait to get back with my swimming buddies. My teammates challenge me more than I ever could on my own. This experience is so much better the second time around. It is my form of meditation & keeps me on the right track, both mentally & physically....
  • Hi Zwemmer: I also took a 30-year break. I swam AAU in Northern California, consisting of high-yardage workouts (about 9 per week or so). I was an ok swimmer, but never great. I swam at my local junior college for two years, & that was that. I was so burned out & had no idea why I was even swimming, other than because I had been doing so since age eight. I literally did not touch a pool for years afterward. The look of a pool, the smell of it; it all turned me off. Well, for some reason, I still have no idea why, I decided at age 50 to take another look at swimming. I thought for fitness it might be a good idea. I did not gain weight & did maintain a pretty high fitness level thru my life. I guess I was looking for an alternate form of exercise away from the gym (which I was getting pretty tired of). I swam on my own in a local 25-meter 86-degree pool during lap swim hours. There were no lane lines & 'fast' & 'slow' lanes were anyone's guess. That didn't really matter initially, because I started out by doing 25's & resting at every wall. I could stand it for about 1/2 an hour or so. Sounds kind of depressing, right? Only I didn't think so- I was so excited by the whole experience that I couldn't wait to do it again, & bought a multi-swim pass. I kept that up for a year & was happy with my progression in endurance & technique. I thought it was time to join Masters. Four years later, I am happily ensconced with a team full of really nice people of all backgrounds & abilities. I love the workouts & am continually challenged. I do swim on my own several times a month, but can't wait to get back with my swimming buddies. My teammates challenge me more than I ever could on my own. This experience is so much better the second time around. It is my form of meditation & keeps me on the right track, both mentally & physically....
Children
No Data