Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Bruinswim, thank you for a great story! And all the good feeling & positive inspiration. I really appreciate it. I lived in the Bay Area for years but since I wasn't swimming I'd no idea about the relative lack of indoor facilities. I'm glad you're now in a swimming-supportive area. Our local team here, Palmetto Masters, is already a lot of fun & definitely the camaraderie is a huge plus. I love it about your recent return to the water & wondering if you "can even stand up." I can relate! I knew after my first workout it would not be the day after but the day after the day after that would be "interesting" And it was! That third workout was hilarious for me. Just fine for the first 25 of a 100 by by the 75 I was moving quite slowly and on the last length wondering if I could keep my arms rotating. Seems I need to build up some oxygen carrying capacity again. :) I'm glad I timed things for four workouts after 30+ years then a three day long weekend to recover. Yay!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Bruinswim, thank you for a great story! And all the good feeling & positive inspiration. I really appreciate it. I lived in the Bay Area for years but since I wasn't swimming I'd no idea about the relative lack of indoor facilities. I'm glad you're now in a swimming-supportive area. Our local team here, Palmetto Masters, is already a lot of fun & definitely the camaraderie is a huge plus. I love it about your recent return to the water & wondering if you "can even stand up." I can relate! I knew after my first workout it would not be the day after but the day after the day after that would be "interesting" And it was! That third workout was hilarious for me. Just fine for the first 25 of a 100 by by the 75 I was moving quite slowly and on the last length wondering if I could keep my arms rotating. Seems I need to build up some oxygen carrying capacity again. :) I'm glad I timed things for four workouts after 30+ years then a three day long weekend to recover. Yay!
Children
No Data