Returned to the Pool after a 30 Year "break"

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All: This past week found me back in the pool for a coached workout for the first time in 30+ years. I swam high school & college but my college career ended strangely largely due to the fact I had undiagnosed asthma. I didn't find out I had it until 15 years after I hung up my suit. So I stayed away from swimming for some reasons that don't make a lot of sense anymore. A month or so ago I went to a local pool & swam a bit. I found out I really missed it. A lot. So just over a week ago I found our local USMS club, joined, and this week just past swam my first four workouts in decades. I really love it!:banana: I would enjoy hearing from others who took a long or longer break from swimming & returned. What's was it like to get back in the pool after so long? How is it for you now? Thanks! --Zwemmer (simply Dutch for "swimmer"), also known as Benjamin.
Parents
  • Hey there! I just returned to the pool again, after a 4 year "taper". This following a 30 year taper before that. In my prior life, I was a mere teen, swimming AAU and USA age group swimming for 9 years. So, at age 25, I found a Masters Program down in Irvine that I joined and worked out at UCLA, where I also worked. As a youngster, I did pretty well, competing against former college swimmers who were still oh so fast! But our mixed relay did set a record! That was back in 1983, the beginnings of USMS. We then moved to Texas, grew a family, and 30 years later, having moved back to the Bay Area, I decided to try Masters again. Found a great team with an even greater coach who has the patience of Job!!!! I worked out and competed with them for a couple years and had such a great time! It's too easy to let other things get in the way, like earning money, and in the Bay Area with no indoor facilities, you go on a winter break so that broke my momentum, and didn't go back.... then we moved again. So here I am, in the Pacific NW and indoor pools, and no more excuses! Joined up, and had my first workout in 4 years! (Another taper, right?). I'm sitting here typing this wondering if I can even stand up. Swam 1,000 yards, which may have been overkill, even tho I did it 50 yards at a time. Hahaha! So here we go! I'm looking forward to connecting with a team, and the cameraderie it brings. I've aged up again, and am allowed a wee bit slower times to feel successful! This is a great thing! Being in the water finds me sometimes just zoning out, not thinking much about anything, which is very refreshing, and sometimes exploring all sorts of opinions within each lap. It's SO bad for my hair.... but SO good for my mental where-with-all! AND my weight, too, hopefully! Cheers to you! Welcome back to the chlorine, and the fun!
  • Hey there! I just returned to the pool again, after a 4 year "taper". This following a 30 year taper before that. In my prior life, I was a mere teen, swimming AAU and USA age group swimming for 9 years. So, at age 25, I found a Masters Program down in Irvine that I joined and worked out at UCLA, where I also worked. As a youngster, I did pretty well, competing against former college swimmers who were still oh so fast! But our mixed relay did set a record! That was back in 1983, the beginnings of USMS. We then moved to Texas, grew a family, and 30 years later, having moved back to the Bay Area, I decided to try Masters again. Found a great team with an even greater coach who has the patience of Job!!!! I worked out and competed with them for a couple years and had such a great time! It's too easy to let other things get in the way, like earning money, and in the Bay Area with no indoor facilities, you go on a winter break so that broke my momentum, and didn't go back.... then we moved again. So here I am, in the Pacific NW and indoor pools, and no more excuses! Joined up, and had my first workout in 4 years! (Another taper, right?). I'm sitting here typing this wondering if I can even stand up. Swam 1,000 yards, which may have been overkill, even tho I did it 50 yards at a time. Hahaha! So here we go! I'm looking forward to connecting with a team, and the cameraderie it brings. I've aged up again, and am allowed a wee bit slower times to feel successful! This is a great thing! Being in the water finds me sometimes just zoning out, not thinking much about anything, which is very refreshing, and sometimes exploring all sorts of opinions within each lap. It's SO bad for my hair.... but SO good for my mental where-with-all! AND my weight, too, hopefully! Cheers to you! Welcome back to the chlorine, and the fun!
Children
No Data