What sets apart a average swimmer from a truly great one?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been swimming my entire life yet the fastest my 50m freestyle ever got was 28.7 seconds while using a tech suit. Yet I see many Olympians and others that have almost the same muscle mass and proportions and they swim consistent 23's. How is this so?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yeah, I read over what I've written and I'm embarrassed. It was wrong of me to speculate like that - particularly with real people's names, when I don't know any of those people, and - to my knowledge- they might speak of any contender with total respect. I apologize. I appreciate your perspective. I think it is kind of you to do so but I don't need an apology and I suspect they'd just smile and tell you not to worry about it. Many people who achieve some kind of high rank in human society are, frankly, d*cks about it. :) And it's easy to speculate what such people think of lesser mortals. But in my experience swimmers are not often like that & most athletes do well to keep it real, as they say. I was kinda basing my thoughts on how stellar college professors will dis to grad students about respectable tenured profs in good standing with solid, but non-stellar, outputs. :laugh2: That is something I know a little about and I certainly here you. My theory as to why that happens is that the only way to get rid of an assistant professor you can't stand is to promote them to associate & hope another school will recruit them. So by the time you end up with a full professor or even one in a named chair you can find some really interesting people.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yeah, I read over what I've written and I'm embarrassed. It was wrong of me to speculate like that - particularly with real people's names, when I don't know any of those people, and - to my knowledge- they might speak of any contender with total respect. I apologize. I appreciate your perspective. I think it is kind of you to do so but I don't need an apology and I suspect they'd just smile and tell you not to worry about it. Many people who achieve some kind of high rank in human society are, frankly, d*cks about it. :) And it's easy to speculate what such people think of lesser mortals. But in my experience swimmers are not often like that & most athletes do well to keep it real, as they say. I was kinda basing my thoughts on how stellar college professors will dis to grad students about respectable tenured profs in good standing with solid, but non-stellar, outputs. :laugh2: That is something I know a little about and I certainly here you. My theory as to why that happens is that the only way to get rid of an assistant professor you can't stand is to promote them to associate & hope another school will recruit them. So by the time you end up with a full professor or even one in a named chair you can find some really interesting people.
Children
No Data