What sets apart a average swimmer from a truly great one?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been swimming my entire life yet the fastest my 50m freestyle ever got was 28.7 seconds while using a tech suit. Yet I see many Olympians and others that have almost the same muscle mass and proportions and they swim consistent 23's. How is this so?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I have another "what is great, anyhow?" post. I would think of anyone who day, made the olympic trials, or an NCAA champ, even in lower division, to be really great. Like a world beyond anything I can imagine. But suppose if you had Michael Phelps, Ryan Lotche, Dana Torres, and Mark Spitz were sitting around and talking? I'd guess they might view someone who won one olympic silver and one bronze as an "also ran." Or maybe even, "Sure that swimmer had a world record, like 10 years ago, but it was only one. It lasted two months. And what was it in? *** stroke? meh."
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I have another "what is great, anyhow?" post. I would think of anyone who day, made the olympic trials, or an NCAA champ, even in lower division, to be really great. Like a world beyond anything I can imagine. But suppose if you had Michael Phelps, Ryan Lotche, Dana Torres, and Mark Spitz were sitting around and talking? I'd guess they might view someone who won one olympic silver and one bronze as an "also ran." Or maybe even, "Sure that swimmer had a world record, like 10 years ago, but it was only one. It lasted two months. And what was it in? *** stroke? meh."
Children
No Data