What sets apart a average swimmer from a truly great one?

Former Member
Former Member
I've been swimming my entire life yet the fastest my 50m freestyle ever got was 28.7 seconds while using a tech suit. Yet I see many Olympians and others that have almost the same muscle mass and proportions and they swim consistent 23's. How is this so?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    My checkoffs in the physical advantages column are pretty few - I'm 6'1" but with a 6'7" wingspan, and I have ridiculously flexible ankles. But I have really long legs and size 10 feet which is tiny for someone over 6'... I'm doomed here. :laugh2: I'm only 5'1", my legs are long compared to my torso, my shoulders aren't exceptionally wide, and my ankles are not flexible at all. My arms are long, and my hands and feet are proportionally large for my size, but that's mostly b/c I have long fingers and toes. Core is strong from gymnastics, and I'm an ectomorph with supposedly more fast-twitch muscles than slow.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    My checkoffs in the physical advantages column are pretty few - I'm 6'1" but with a 6'7" wingspan, and I have ridiculously flexible ankles. But I have really long legs and size 10 feet which is tiny for someone over 6'... I'm doomed here. :laugh2: I'm only 5'1", my legs are long compared to my torso, my shoulders aren't exceptionally wide, and my ankles are not flexible at all. My arms are long, and my hands and feet are proportionally large for my size, but that's mostly b/c I have long fingers and toes. Core is strong from gymnastics, and I'm an ectomorph with supposedly more fast-twitch muscles than slow.
Children
No Data