Break after a big meet

How long do you take after a big meet? I've found that I've had a problem after a big meet like nationals or in this case Pan Ams to get back in the water. Do you typically take some time off before getting back in the water or do you get right back in the Monday after?
Parents
  • Hey, Mark R.! Nice job at Pan Ams, by the way. As much as I'd like to take a break after a big meet, I have found it better to get back at it right away. As a matter of fact, I have started a ritual of the same practice upon my return....and I try to make it the day after I get home: Warm-up 30 x 100s on 2:00-interval at my lowest possible average (which is usually about 1:06). Cool down This workout really challenges me, but it helps me stay in form. Personally, I don't believe in tapering, so it is not like I am recovering from a longer term reduction of effort. It's the same for me with open water events. After my BIG swims, I try to get right back at it. One size does not fit all, however. This is what I do. Good luck with the rest of your season! Mark J. Thanks Mark! I felt like I hit the taper the second weekend (200 IM, 200 Fly, 400 Free). I might try the test set.
  • Hey, Mark R.! Nice job at Pan Ams, by the way. As much as I'd like to take a break after a big meet, I have found it better to get back at it right away. As a matter of fact, I have started a ritual of the same practice upon my return....and I try to make it the day after I get home: Warm-up 30 x 100s on 2:00-interval at my lowest possible average (which is usually about 1:06). Cool down This workout really challenges me, but it helps me stay in form. Personally, I don't believe in tapering, so it is not like I am recovering from a longer term reduction of effort. It's the same for me with open water events. After my BIG swims, I try to get right back at it. One size does not fit all, however. This is what I do. Good luck with the rest of your season! Mark J. Thanks Mark! I felt like I hit the taper the second weekend (200 IM, 200 Fly, 400 Free). I might try the test set.
Children
No Data