Real What if Question

Maybe i just over looked the answer but here goes. We are planning an open water long distance(35 miles) 6 person relay. What if one of our members becomes sick and cannot continue. Do the remaining five complete the swim or can we bring in another swimmer? Thanks Danny Arnold
  • This is not a sanctioned event but a challenge for our Masters Team and fundraiser. It is a 35-mile open water(Lake Swim) and will follow sanction rules with observers etc. I looked for specific rules on this issue but found nothing. I plan on not allowing a new swimmer be inserted but the remaining 5 completing the swim. Thanks for the input.
  • It depends. Is this as part of an event or is it just 6 swimmers getting together for a swim? If it is part of an event then the event information should state how this is handled, if not in the event information then the event referee should make the call. If this is just 6 swimmers getting together, then you do what you do.
  • If it's a formal event, I doubt the other teams would appreciate it if you brought a ringer in halfway through!
  • Probably a question better asked to the true open water swimmers (forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php. But personally I'd say that the remaining swimmers pick up the slack of the one that dropped out. Dan
  • No expert here but, I would think that you would need to finish with what you have left.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    I wouldn't brinh another person, it looks like a betrayal
  • This is not a sanctioned event but a challenge for our Masters Team and fundraiser. It is a 35-mile open water(Lake Swim) and will follow sanction rules with observers etc. I looked for specific rules on this issue but found nothing. I plan on not allowing a new swimmer be inserted but the remaining 5 completing the swim. Thanks for the input. It’s not a sanctioned event, but you’re following sanction rules... Whose rules? I will be bold and say that the Marathon Swimmers Federation (MSF) is your best bet if the body of water you’re crossing doesn’t have its own sanctioning body. MSF rules state that relays proceed in the same order with no substitutions. marathonswimmers.org/.../
  • Janswim thank you. I read the same think and must have skimmed that line. Question Answered!!