Chlorine triggering asthma and allergies

Former Member
Former Member
How do professional swimmers guard against getting asthma from chlorine in pools? www.reuters.com/.../us-allergies-pools-idUSTRE58E0N120090915 I swam for years but then developed dustmite allergy and mild asthma and i know it was from swimming,as i used to sneeze so much afterwards. Recently went to outdoor lido as supposed to be better as fumes blow away but my nose still stuffed up next day and sneezed a few times :( I love swimming but not sure its safe for me?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hello Wilykit: I wish there had been a reply sooner. I've got asthma but chlorine isn't an irritant or much of a factor for me. I use a twice-daily inhaler and have not had to use a rescue inhaler at all despite starting Master's swimming this past week after a 30-year "hiatus" from the pool. Are you using any kind of asthma medication? And have you ever been tested for a specific allergy to chlorine?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Hello Wilykit: I wish there had been a reply sooner. I've got asthma but chlorine isn't an irritant or much of a factor for me. I use a twice-daily inhaler and have not had to use a rescue inhaler at all despite starting Master's swimming this past week after a 30-year "hiatus" from the pool. Are you using any kind of asthma medication? And have you ever been tested for a specific allergy to chlorine?
Children
No Data