Advice on being a swim dad

Former Member
Former Member
Hello everyone! i have a 14 yr old daughter who has been swimming with a USA swimming club for about 2yrs now. She is the only person in our family to swim, so naturally I feel in a bit over my head at times, though she seems to fit in well in the swimming world. I’m not sure how my daughter ranks against her peers, or her just others in her age group for that matter, nor what is a “good time” or “bad time”. Given she is not in the top swim group at her club, I’m get the sense her times about average for her age or perhaps a bit below. So anyways, I’m wondering what I can do to be a “good swim parent”, how far do I go when she adds time and how happy should I be when she drops a little time? Thanks for all your help! I’ve put a couple of her short course yards times below. 100fly: 1:02.51 100back:1:02.35 100free: 56.32 200free: 2:00.59 200back: 2:13.15 200IM: 2:18.87 200fly: 2:24.11 50free: 26.15
Parents
  • Hi Jay, ultimately you are the parent and need to determine how much you would like to be involved - but you have the full right to educate yourself on swimming as much as you want. As others have mentioned here, the USA Swimming Motivational Times are very helpful in determining your daughter's level for her age group. This is a good article offering tips on how to be the best swim parent you can be: www.swimspire.com/.../ Hope this is helpful for you! All the best to you and your daughter!
  • Hi Jay, ultimately you are the parent and need to determine how much you would like to be involved - but you have the full right to educate yourself on swimming as much as you want. As others have mentioned here, the USA Swimming Motivational Times are very helpful in determining your daughter's level for her age group. This is a good article offering tips on how to be the best swim parent you can be: www.swimspire.com/.../ Hope this is helpful for you! All the best to you and your daughter!
Children
No Data