Advice on being a swim dad

Former Member
Former Member
Hello everyone! i have a 14 yr old daughter who has been swimming with a USA swimming club for about 2yrs now. She is the only person in our family to swim, so naturally I feel in a bit over my head at times, though she seems to fit in well in the swimming world. I’m not sure how my daughter ranks against her peers, or her just others in her age group for that matter, nor what is a “good time” or “bad time”. Given she is not in the top swim group at her club, I’m get the sense her times about average for her age or perhaps a bit below. So anyways, I’m wondering what I can do to be a “good swim parent”, how far do I go when she adds time and how happy should I be when she drops a little time? Thanks for all your help! I’ve put a couple of her short course yards times below. 100fly: 1:02.51 100back:1:02.35 100free: 56.32 200free: 2:00.59 200back: 2:13.15 200IM: 2:18.87 200fly: 2:24.11 50free: 26.15
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Those times are very respectable for a 14 year old, with only 2 years of club swimming. One would assume that she'll only continue to improve. Either way, the best advise is two words..."great job". She knows where she's at time wise, and if you're actively involved in the sport (as a parent) - it's only a matter of time where you'll know where the bar lies. As a former swim parent, the best thing to do is be happy with the good times, and be supportive during the disappointing ones. There's going to be all kinds of ups and downs. It's better to let the coach provide the feedback, and for the parents to be the cheering section. ...The best part is - is that you're there for her, taking her to practices and meets. The high school and college years go by incredibly fast, and she will never forget her swimming days, and your commitment to being her support system. I speak from experience. Enjoy the moment, and the brief 8 year career, should she decide to move on to NCAA swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Those times are very respectable for a 14 year old, with only 2 years of club swimming. One would assume that she'll only continue to improve. Either way, the best advise is two words..."great job". She knows where she's at time wise, and if you're actively involved in the sport (as a parent) - it's only a matter of time where you'll know where the bar lies. As a former swim parent, the best thing to do is be happy with the good times, and be supportive during the disappointing ones. There's going to be all kinds of ups and downs. It's better to let the coach provide the feedback, and for the parents to be the cheering section. ...The best part is - is that you're there for her, taking her to practices and meets. The high school and college years go by incredibly fast, and she will never forget her swimming days, and your commitment to being her support system. I speak from experience. Enjoy the moment, and the brief 8 year career, should she decide to move on to NCAA swimming.
Children
No Data