Advice on being a swim dad

Former Member
Former Member
Hello everyone! i have a 14 yr old daughter who has been swimming with a USA swimming club for about 2yrs now. She is the only person in our family to swim, so naturally I feel in a bit over my head at times, though she seems to fit in well in the swimming world. I’m not sure how my daughter ranks against her peers, or her just others in her age group for that matter, nor what is a “good time” or “bad time”. Given she is not in the top swim group at her club, I’m get the sense her times about average for her age or perhaps a bit below. So anyways, I’m wondering what I can do to be a “good swim parent”, how far do I go when she adds time and how happy should I be when she drops a little time? Thanks for all your help! I’ve put a couple of her short course yards times below. 100fly: 1:02.51 100back:1:02.35 100free: 56.32 200free: 2:00.59 200back: 2:13.15 200IM: 2:18.87 200fly: 2:24.11 50free: 26.15
Parents
  • I had kids in baseball, softball, gymnastics, soccer, & volleyball. Never swimmers, but the sport is immaterial. I had one kid in the absolute worst volleyball team in the state, never won a single set in any match, but he was named the team MVP. Why? He tried harder no matter the score. Encouragement and support, regardless of the tier she's placed in. Go to every event she wants to enter, cheer loudly, but not like an ass. Big hugs when it's done. Any time she breaks one of those marks by even a half a second, it's cause for celebration.
  • I had kids in baseball, softball, gymnastics, soccer, & volleyball. Never swimmers, but the sport is immaterial. I had one kid in the absolute worst volleyball team in the state, never won a single set in any match, but he was named the team MVP. Why? He tried harder no matter the score. Encouragement and support, regardless of the tier she's placed in. Go to every event she wants to enter, cheer loudly, but not like an ass. Big hugs when it's done. Any time she breaks one of those marks by even a half a second, it's cause for celebration.
Children
No Data