I Think I Have My Lactate Threshold...What Next?

I wonder if anyone can help me. Thank you in advance! My goal is to improve my 400 meter freestyle. My time right now is 5:45. I am almost 44 years old. Coming off six weeks of doing only long, slow swims (2-3 miles) at 125 HR or lower, I performed a 3000 meter freestyle at maximum in an effort to discover my lactate threshold. My time was 47:29. Right afterwards my HR was 164, so I estimate it was probably around 170 during the actual swim. Average pace was as follows: 1:35 per 100 3:10 per 200 6:20 per 400 My first 400 was, to my surprise, a 6:02. So you can see I got slower later on. Is this a reasonable approximation if my lactate threshold? Should I start by training below this pace, say at 140 HR, then build to eventually holding 400 meter pace? Thank you for any advice you care to give. God bless!
Parents
  • Paul - thank you very much for that info and encouragement. Whew, there is no way I could keep my HR at 160 day after day, I would badly overtrain, not that gifted. However I can definitely work in a lot of race pace training this summer, holding 100s at 1:25 or so, and even longer distances.
  • Paul - thank you very much for that info and encouragement. Whew, there is no way I could keep my HR at 160 day after day, I would badly overtrain, not that gifted. However I can definitely work in a lot of race pace training this summer, holding 100s at 1:25 or so, and even longer distances.
Children
No Data