How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • .....But we're in freestyle open water season so this might explain the emphasis on one stroke recently. It also might explain the monotony. I went from 7-8 500 yard sets to following the workouts posted here (just the basic training ones), and the workouts immediately got more interesting. Doing interval sets is a whole lot less monotonous than just doing lap after lap after lap of the same thing. Forty 50's on 20 seconds rest may sound pretty monotonous, but it is far from it. The only time I feel any monotony is when I'm doing UDK's with fins when there is a long rest interval.
  • .....But we're in freestyle open water season so this might explain the emphasis on one stroke recently. It also might explain the monotony. I went from 7-8 500 yard sets to following the workouts posted here (just the basic training ones), and the workouts immediately got more interesting. Doing interval sets is a whole lot less monotonous than just doing lap after lap after lap of the same thing. Forty 50's on 20 seconds rest may sound pretty monotonous, but it is far from it. The only time I feel any monotony is when I'm doing UDK's with fins when there is a long rest interval.
Children
No Data