How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • .... Maybe if I put in writing what I would like to accomplish each month will be helpful. I'll be sure to try this. Thanks :) Jacques - A lot of great advice already provided, but your quote above is really important. Write down, in advance, what you want to accomplish and bring it with you to practice. Share it with your coach, so they can keep an eye out for the change you are trying to make, and reinforce it with you during practices. As a solo swimmer, I have to write my practices out ahead of time, complete with drills, intervals, and goals. I have it at poolside, and keep records on my home computer of dates, sets, times, and how I am feeling. Journalling expectations and experiences will help keep you at it! Good luck!
  • .... Maybe if I put in writing what I would like to accomplish each month will be helpful. I'll be sure to try this. Thanks :) Jacques - A lot of great advice already provided, but your quote above is really important. Write down, in advance, what you want to accomplish and bring it with you to practice. Share it with your coach, so they can keep an eye out for the change you are trying to make, and reinforce it with you during practices. As a solo swimmer, I have to write my practices out ahead of time, complete with drills, intervals, and goals. I have it at poolside, and keep records on my home computer of dates, sets, times, and how I am feeling. Journalling expectations and experiences will help keep you at it! Good luck!
Children
No Data