How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks Elaine! I appreciate you sharing with me some of your thoughts and experience on the 400IM subject. Keeping my shoulders healthy is one of my priorities and it does sound like doing all 4 strokes on a regular basis is a way to achieve this. I have found myself just going along with the freestyle open water workouts which, I agree, puts tremendous use and strain on the shoulders. I'm curious, how do you attend Masters workouts during open water season but still train for 400IMs? Do you swim on your own during the summer or find a separate lane in the pool?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks Elaine! I appreciate you sharing with me some of your thoughts and experience on the 400IM subject. Keeping my shoulders healthy is one of my priorities and it does sound like doing all 4 strokes on a regular basis is a way to achieve this. I have found myself just going along with the freestyle open water workouts which, I agree, puts tremendous use and strain on the shoulders. I'm curious, how do you attend Masters workouts during open water season but still train for 400IMs? Do you swim on your own during the summer or find a separate lane in the pool?
Children
No Data