How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • Make that +2 on the 400 IM. What I love about training for the 400 IM is the variety, which helps reduce the possibility of repetitive stress injuries. Training for the 1650 (or open water distance races) does just the opposite. As much as I love the 1650 and open water, the quantity of freestyle training required is a killer on the shoulders. With the 400 IM, if my shoulders need a rest, I do IM kick sets and work more on my breaststroke. When my hip gets sore from too much breaststroke kick, I switch it up and train fly. Training all four strokes and doing kick and pull drills gives you plenty of options to rest over-worked areas and make things more enjoyable. :bliss:
  • Make that +2 on the 400 IM. What I love about training for the 400 IM is the variety, which helps reduce the possibility of repetitive stress injuries. Training for the 1650 (or open water distance races) does just the opposite. As much as I love the 1650 and open water, the quantity of freestyle training required is a killer on the shoulders. With the 400 IM, if my shoulders need a rest, I do IM kick sets and work more on my breaststroke. When my hip gets sore from too much breaststroke kick, I switch it up and train fly. Training all four strokes and doing kick and pull drills gives you plenty of options to rest over-worked areas and make things more enjoyable. :bliss:
Children
No Data