How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks Karl. It's interesting to hear about your experience on the subject. From what I've learned to date swimming has a lot to do with muscle memory and the way to train those muscles is to do prescribed drills (for each stroke). There's just so much going on, I find, when swimming that unless I have those muscles trained there's no way I'm going to be able to pull things off. I think I can understand some of what the coach you talked to was saying. In my experience there are swimmers out there that don't want to take the time to do drills and focus on technique. It's just not important to them. This must be very frustrating for coaches, though, that try to explain the importance of technique, only for it to fall on deaf ears. Thanks for the +1 on the 400IM. I'm going to put that on my calendar today. The first goal is to complete one and then I'll try to improve my time.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Thanks Karl. It's interesting to hear about your experience on the subject. From what I've learned to date swimming has a lot to do with muscle memory and the way to train those muscles is to do prescribed drills (for each stroke). There's just so much going on, I find, when swimming that unless I have those muscles trained there's no way I'm going to be able to pull things off. I think I can understand some of what the coach you talked to was saying. In my experience there are swimmers out there that don't want to take the time to do drills and focus on technique. It's just not important to them. This must be very frustrating for coaches, though, that try to explain the importance of technique, only for it to fall on deaf ears. Thanks for the +1 on the 400IM. I'm going to put that on my calendar today. The first goal is to complete one and then I'll try to improve my time.
Children
No Data