How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    "I have found that some coaches can fall into a routine, not be creative enough to keep swimmers engaged". Thanks pwb. I was kind of under the impression that coaches got their workouts from USMS. But we're in freestyle open water season so this might explain the emphasis on one stroke recently. I might run this by my coach to learn more. One thing I noticed, and I supposed this is related to the topic, is that there doesn't appear to be a strong emphasis on technique/drills in the masters. I say this because at a large regional swim meet (I was a spectator) I noticed that many of the swimmers, at all levels, had poor technique. A straight are pull, for example, seems to run rampant :) - both in the group I swim with and also at the regional swim meet. It's still early in the game for me but these are just some of my observations from the outset. I do know how important technique is, though, and want to be sure that I continue to develop it in my swimming. Thanks pwb. I didn't entertain the aspect of variety in swimming/drills when setting a 400IM as a goal. Thanks for pointing this out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    "I have found that some coaches can fall into a routine, not be creative enough to keep swimmers engaged". Thanks pwb. I was kind of under the impression that coaches got their workouts from USMS. But we're in freestyle open water season so this might explain the emphasis on one stroke recently. I might run this by my coach to learn more. One thing I noticed, and I supposed this is related to the topic, is that there doesn't appear to be a strong emphasis on technique/drills in the masters. I say this because at a large regional swim meet (I was a spectator) I noticed that many of the swimmers, at all levels, had poor technique. A straight are pull, for example, seems to run rampant :) - both in the group I swim with and also at the regional swim meet. It's still early in the game for me but these are just some of my observations from the outset. I do know how important technique is, though, and want to be sure that I continue to develop it in my swimming. Thanks pwb. I didn't entertain the aspect of variety in swimming/drills when setting a 400IM as a goal. Thanks for pointing this out.
Children
No Data