How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • One is to be able to do a 400 IM.Good move. As I was reading through this thread, before I got to this comment, I was going to suggest training for the 400 IM as doing a good 400 IM requires you to vary your workouts, focusing on both endurance and speed, all four strokes, technique, kicking, etc. Also, if you are training with a Masters team and don't find the coach's workouts providing enough variety, consider doing some solo workouts where you do what you want to do. While I love Masters swimming and there are truly some awesome coaches out there in our community, I have found that some coaches can fall into a routine, not be creative enough to keep swimmers engaged. I have found the best way to avoid monotony is to train by myself most of the time as I can ensure my workouts have the kind of variety I need.
  • One is to be able to do a 400 IM.Good move. As I was reading through this thread, before I got to this comment, I was going to suggest training for the 400 IM as doing a good 400 IM requires you to vary your workouts, focusing on both endurance and speed, all four strokes, technique, kicking, etc. Also, if you are training with a Masters team and don't find the coach's workouts providing enough variety, consider doing some solo workouts where you do what you want to do. While I love Masters swimming and there are truly some awesome coaches out there in our community, I have found that some coaches can fall into a routine, not be creative enough to keep swimmers engaged. I have found the best way to avoid monotony is to train by myself most of the time as I can ensure my workouts have the kind of variety I need.
Children
No Data