How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    "If it's the workout itself, there's no shame in adjusting it to your needs (interval, length, stroke, etc). Remember, it's masters swimming, it has to be for you first and the friendships/comradery are the fringe benefits". Thanks Waves. I think I do put pressure on myself and maybe taking some of that off will be helpful. I'll thinking about how a change or two may help me out. "Also, since I've started going to swim meets, I want to beat my personal best, that's reason #2 why I keep swimming". I'm looking forward to doing my first meet Assumargo, thanks. Maybe if I get that under-my-belt I can set some important goals. "Do you have a goal in mind of something that might be just out of reach? Do you have a meet or a race you can do to test yourself? Having a goal helps give each practice new meaning, whether it's working on speed or technique". Actually, Flystorms, I achieved a huge goal of mine withing the first 6 weeks! :) - to do 1 mile non-stop using flip-turns. That was a great feeling. I'll try to set up some more important goals. One is to be able to do a 400 IM. I need to learn strokes other than freestyle in order to do this. I'm pretty much a perfectionist so my mind is almost always on technique when I'm swimming - as least one aspect of technique anyway. Maybe if I put in writing what I would like to accomplish each month will be helpful. I'll be sure to try this. Thanks :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    "If it's the workout itself, there's no shame in adjusting it to your needs (interval, length, stroke, etc). Remember, it's masters swimming, it has to be for you first and the friendships/comradery are the fringe benefits". Thanks Waves. I think I do put pressure on myself and maybe taking some of that off will be helpful. I'll thinking about how a change or two may help me out. "Also, since I've started going to swim meets, I want to beat my personal best, that's reason #2 why I keep swimming". I'm looking forward to doing my first meet Assumargo, thanks. Maybe if I get that under-my-belt I can set some important goals. "Do you have a goal in mind of something that might be just out of reach? Do you have a meet or a race you can do to test yourself? Having a goal helps give each practice new meaning, whether it's working on speed or technique". Actually, Flystorms, I achieved a huge goal of mine withing the first 6 weeks! :) - to do 1 mile non-stop using flip-turns. That was a great feeling. I'll try to set up some more important goals. One is to be able to do a 400 IM. I need to learn strokes other than freestyle in order to do this. I'm pretty much a perfectionist so my mind is almost always on technique when I'm swimming - as least one aspect of technique anyway. Maybe if I put in writing what I would like to accomplish each month will be helpful. I'll be sure to try this. Thanks :)
Children
No Data