How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • Jacques - What did you find challenging and rewarding at first? Just some thoughts... Do you have a goal in mind of something that might be just out of reach? Do you have a meet or a race you can do to test yourself? Having a goal helps give each practice new meaning, whether it's working on speed or technique. If you can easily do a 100 on a 1:30, for example, work to get that down to a 1:25. Personally, each practice is an opportunity to make tweaks. I'll focus on one thing for about a month until it becomes ingrained, like this past 3ish weeks, I'm working hard at making turns faster. Before it was working on head position when I'm breathing. This is a sport where minor tweaks can make a difference and multiple tweaks will add up to improvements. You can never be perfect, but you can work to get close. :)
  • Jacques - What did you find challenging and rewarding at first? Just some thoughts... Do you have a goal in mind of something that might be just out of reach? Do you have a meet or a race you can do to test yourself? Having a goal helps give each practice new meaning, whether it's working on speed or technique. If you can easily do a 100 on a 1:30, for example, work to get that down to a 1:25. Personally, each practice is an opportunity to make tweaks. I'll focus on one thing for about a month until it becomes ingrained, like this past 3ish weeks, I'm working hard at making turns faster. Before it was working on head position when I'm breathing. This is a sport where minor tweaks can make a difference and multiple tweaks will add up to improvements. You can never be perfect, but you can work to get close. :)
Children
No Data