How to Stick with Masters Swimming - Addressing Monotony

Former Member
Former Member
Hello Fellow Swimmers, About two months ago I joined my local Masters swim team. I found it challenging and rewarding. However, recently I have been finding it difficult to attend sessions because of the tediousness and repetition involved. My yardage increased dramatically in the first 4 to 6 weeks of practice. I went from swimming less that 500 yards about twice a week for a couple of months to swimming just over 3600 yards per practice. I'd be interested in hearing any advice on how to stick with swimming for the long term. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions.
Parents
  • I am one of those lazy bunch that hates to feel like I'm sweating. So I tend to stay away from any dry land sports. The only form of fitness that seems to work for me is swimming. That is the #1 reason why I keep swimming. Each day I skip swimming, I tend to be grumpy and lethargic throughout the day. Also, since I've started going to swim meets, I want to beat my personal best, that's reason #2 why I keep swimming. I think you just need to find a goal/reason as to why you want to continue swimming. If you are a triathlete, it could be to improve the swimming leg of your race. Or just it could be just pure fitness reasons.
  • I am one of those lazy bunch that hates to feel like I'm sweating. So I tend to stay away from any dry land sports. The only form of fitness that seems to work for me is swimming. That is the #1 reason why I keep swimming. Each day I skip swimming, I tend to be grumpy and lethargic throughout the day. Also, since I've started going to swim meets, I want to beat my personal best, that's reason #2 why I keep swimming. I think you just need to find a goal/reason as to why you want to continue swimming. If you are a triathlete, it could be to improve the swimming leg of your race. Or just it could be just pure fitness reasons.
Children
No Data