Underwater swim

I have been swimming at a local YMCA for the past 11 years. They have had an on again and off again (mostly off) Masters program. I try to swim 3-4 times a week and have always performed essentially the same "routine" before my swim. Recently, I have been warned, and notified that I am at risk of being kicked out of the pool for my warm-up routine. I am fully aware of the risks involving hypoxic blackout. There seems to be some unclear rules regarding "No breath Holding", "only swim 2/3 the length underwater", "only swim 3/4 the length underwater" etc. Is this behavior unreasonably dangerous? Any suggestions? As a routine practice, I have always performed the following actions prior to my swimming workout: Kind of a weird thing but I always make it a habit of not ‘testing’ the water before jumping in. (Weird I know… but it’s habit) I place my goggles on my head standing at pools edge and jump in. I quickly surface, take a breath and perform a dolphin kick swim underwater the length of the pool. (25 Yds). Upon surfacing, I begin a series of leisurely freestyle strokes, and transition to drills before engaging in my main sets that are approx. 2500-4000 yds. At no time whatsoever, do I attempt to engage in hyperventilation followed by underwater breath holding, or repetitive underwater laps. Never!
Parents Reply Children
No Data