How long can NEW swimsuits be kept?

Former Member
Former Member
I bought many TYR swimsuits 6+ years ago because they were on sale and I liked them very much. I've used about half of them and the remaining can still last another 6+ years. Will they still be good? (So far I don't see any change of quality) Do they deteriorate even though never used (still in the original plastic bag)? They are 92% polyester, 8% spandex, with polyester lining.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    A swimwear manufacturer told me the elastic thread that makes up the spandex deteriorates over time even in storage. However it’s a small percentage of the total swimsuit so it should last longer than one with more spandex.
  • I'd think the first thing to go in dry storage would be the elastic in the waistband so if that still has the stretch to it you should be fine...
  • Anyone remember the Tootsie Pop commercial from the 80's? The one where the kid wants to know how many licks it takes to finish one, and the owl shows him? This thread reminds me of that :)
  • Former Member
    Thanks for the replies. So it seems it will be fine... I was worried about the fabric may somehow "rot".
  • Former Member
    Anyone remember the Tootsie Pop commercial from the 80's? The one where the kid wants to know how many licks it takes to finish one, and the owl shows him? This thread reminds me of that :) Now I know, thanks :D www.youtube.com/watch
  • consider stopping them in Ziploc bags that you roll and seal
  • Former Member
    consider stopping them in Ziploc bags that you roll and seal They are in the original TYR bags, just like ziploc bags. I actually had problem with new goggles' silicone skirts getting yellowed even not used and opened, not sure if it's due to air or temperature. So I now keep them in layer after layer of plastic bags in a fridge...