beginner swimmer | lacking coordination | need help

Former Member
Former Member
Hello All, I am taking swim instructions through the local USMS ALTS program. it is a new program where adults are given swim instructions. I am in my early 50's and just never till now. I am in the 4th week of my lessons and seem to have (mostly) overcome the fear of water =). We are now at the part of the instructions where we are learning freestyle swim and that's where I am at a complete roadblock. I am unable to co-ordinate my feet/legs movement with the arms. I can hold my breath and move my feet/legs and do just fine for several feet in distance but the second I start using my arms, my feet/legs stop. Its one of those cliche's about unable to walk and chew gum at the same time, while I say that in a lighthearted joke, I am feeling very frustrated with this issue and feel that I won't be able to proceed with the next phase of the lessons where I learn how to move my head side to side and breathe. Is this common (unable to coordinate legs and arms)? I am open to ANY suggestions/advice/suggestions from you to help overcome this mental block. all feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Thank you XMFan
Parents
  • Yes this is a common experience for both adults and kids learning to swim. Good swimmers make it look easy, but many of them have been swimming for years. Patience and practice will get you there and as you progress. AFTER you learn the basics and can get in a few laps, ask about swim aids (aka pool toys) like kick board, fins, swim snorkel, pull buoy, and paddles. These are great practice tools even for beginners struggling with coordination, breathing and other technique issues - a pull buoy helps keep your rear afloat while you work only on arm stroke, a snorkel helps concentration on arms and legs without the complication of breathing, a kick board helps develop your kick, and fins will help you move faster in the water with a higher body position and allow you to use less energy. Don't worry about the struggle, everybody goes through it in the beginning. You'll make it!
  • Yes this is a common experience for both adults and kids learning to swim. Good swimmers make it look easy, but many of them have been swimming for years. Patience and practice will get you there and as you progress. AFTER you learn the basics and can get in a few laps, ask about swim aids (aka pool toys) like kick board, fins, swim snorkel, pull buoy, and paddles. These are great practice tools even for beginners struggling with coordination, breathing and other technique issues - a pull buoy helps keep your rear afloat while you work only on arm stroke, a snorkel helps concentration on arms and legs without the complication of breathing, a kick board helps develop your kick, and fins will help you move faster in the water with a higher body position and allow you to use less energy. Don't worry about the struggle, everybody goes through it in the beginning. You'll make it!
Children
No Data