Thinking of wearing a wetsuit for a 5.5 mile race.

I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it.
Parents
  • Which swim is this? Great South Bay, by any chance? Based on the distance and tI'm of year you mention, I'm guessing GSB. I've done that swim several times, never w a wetsuit, although quite a few swimmers do wear them, and you'll see everything from bikinis or briefs to full sleeve wetsuits. I did feel mildly chilly near the end of one swim but never to the extent of severe discomfort. I have a wetsuit and will wear it if I feel the need, but the Great South Bay is typically pretty warm, high 70s in my experience. But this is coming from someone who's working on cooler water acclimation and managed to swim skin in Aquatic Park (low/mid 50s), although my "comfort zone" still begins in the 60s. I just like the freedom of not having a wetsuit on. Can swim more easily without. YMMV, of course.
  • Which swim is this? Great South Bay, by any chance? Based on the distance and tI'm of year you mention, I'm guessing GSB. I've done that swim several times, never w a wetsuit, although quite a few swimmers do wear them, and you'll see everything from bikinis or briefs to full sleeve wetsuits. I did feel mildly chilly near the end of one swim but never to the extent of severe discomfort. I have a wetsuit and will wear it if I feel the need, but the Great South Bay is typically pretty warm, high 70s in my experience. But this is coming from someone who's working on cooler water acclimation and managed to swim skin in Aquatic Park (low/mid 50s), although my "comfort zone" still begins in the 60s. I just like the freedom of not having a wetsuit on. Can swim more easily without. YMMV, of course.
Children
No Data