Thinking of wearing a wetsuit for a 5.5 mile race.

I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it.
Parents
  • I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it. I have raced 10ks in a wetsuit. Yes, thermal management is a big consideration, good advice here. Id like to reinforce Sojerz other point, the other big issue is preventing abrasion injury, particularly around the neck and below your arms (lats) in a sleeveless. I would therefore encourage you to aggressively road test your suit over good long distances before the race, and learn the fit and lube strategies to keep the suit comfortable over a 2 hour or so use (esp if it is in salt water). I have also raced in a FINA approved body suit. They are great. BUT, they are not designed to accommodate "larger" swimmer bodies. The Arena suits aren't available in larger sizes. I haven't tried the FINIS yet.
  • I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it. I have raced 10ks in a wetsuit. Yes, thermal management is a big consideration, good advice here. Id like to reinforce Sojerz other point, the other big issue is preventing abrasion injury, particularly around the neck and below your arms (lats) in a sleeveless. I would therefore encourage you to aggressively road test your suit over good long distances before the race, and learn the fit and lube strategies to keep the suit comfortable over a 2 hour or so use (esp if it is in salt water). I have also raced in a FINA approved body suit. They are great. BUT, they are not designed to accommodate "larger" swimmer bodies. The Arena suits aren't available in larger sizes. I haven't tried the FINIS yet.
Children
No Data