Thinking of wearing a wetsuit for a 5.5 mile race.

I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it.
Parents
  • If you're looking for speed, consider one of the FINA approved OW body suits. They won't have the buoyancy of a wetsuit, but also won't have the bulk. I find a wetsuit really messes with my stroke; I'll wear one if I have to (as I'm not good below about 64 degrees in OW in a regular suit), but I prefer to avoid races where the water temp would necessitate one. If you do wear a wetsuit, get a sleeveless one for shoulder mobility.
  • If you're looking for speed, consider one of the FINA approved OW body suits. They won't have the buoyancy of a wetsuit, but also won't have the bulk. I find a wetsuit really messes with my stroke; I'll wear one if I have to (as I'm not good below about 64 degrees in OW in a regular suit), but I prefer to avoid races where the water temp would necessitate one. If you do wear a wetsuit, get a sleeveless one for shoulder mobility.
Children
No Data