Thinking of wearing a wetsuit for a 5.5 mile race.

I have a July race 5.5 miles. Temperature will not be an issue, I just want the wetsuit for speed. Anyone ever go that long in a suit? I’m a little nervous about doing it.
Parents
  • It all depends on the water temperature and how fast and hard you swim. A lake in mid July on LI could be pretty warm. The sound and ocean could be fairly cool and the bay may depend on what's been going one weather and current wise in the bay and ocean leading up to the swim that impact water temp. Wet suits are generally allowed up to a certain water temperature in OW races (84F I think - you would be cooking at this temp. ). I've had one on for about half that distance (4000 yards and about an hour) when the water was up to around 75, but prefer a sleeveless wetsuit at about 70 and above. At a water temperature of about 80+ I think might cause more heat exhaustion than the benefit from added buoyance and reduced skin friction. Chaffing is a big issue too - for a two hour swim you want to be sure the fit is great and every potential chaffing spot is very well lubricated. Some general guidelines for triathlons (triathletes love their wetsuits): Under 50 degrees: Not suitable for open water swimming, even with a wetsuit 50 to 65 degrees: Suitable for open water swim, but wetsuit is highly advised 65-78 degrees: Suitable for swimming with or without a wetsuit. Sleeveless suits are popular at this temp. 78-84 degrees: Race directors use their judgement to allow or not allow wetsuits at this range Over 84 degrees: Wetsuits not allowed
  • It all depends on the water temperature and how fast and hard you swim. A lake in mid July on LI could be pretty warm. The sound and ocean could be fairly cool and the bay may depend on what's been going one weather and current wise in the bay and ocean leading up to the swim that impact water temp. Wet suits are generally allowed up to a certain water temperature in OW races (84F I think - you would be cooking at this temp. ). I've had one on for about half that distance (4000 yards and about an hour) when the water was up to around 75, but prefer a sleeveless wetsuit at about 70 and above. At a water temperature of about 80+ I think might cause more heat exhaustion than the benefit from added buoyance and reduced skin friction. Chaffing is a big issue too - for a two hour swim you want to be sure the fit is great and every potential chaffing spot is very well lubricated. Some general guidelines for triathlons (triathletes love their wetsuits): Under 50 degrees: Not suitable for open water swimming, even with a wetsuit 50 to 65 degrees: Suitable for open water swim, but wetsuit is highly advised 65-78 degrees: Suitable for swimming with or without a wetsuit. Sleeveless suits are popular at this temp. 78-84 degrees: Race directors use their judgement to allow or not allow wetsuits at this range Over 84 degrees: Wetsuits not allowed
Children
No Data